Saturday, July 11, 2009

Spanish

Wow Henri Nouwen seems to know exactly how I feel. It´s kind of scary.

“This is my second day of language training…it is frustrating, since I make the same mistakes I made nine years ago and continue to have the feeling that I should be much more advanced after the many weeks and months I have worked on Spanish in the past. There are frequent moments during which I say to myself: ‘I will never master this language’...As I reflect on this fragmented approach to mastering Spanish, I can only say that I never gave up the deep conviction that I must learn it somehow, sometime. I never have been able fully to explain this conviction to myself or to anyone else. But the urge always was there and still is there; my desire to know Spanish and to know it well is as strong as ever. Why? I don’t know. I hope that I will know before I die. There must be a meaning to such a strong passion!” (13-14).

No comments:

Post a Comment