Thursday, June 18, 2009

Day 5

Today was a really good day. We went to another school today and it was an hour drive there and then about a 25 minute walk up to the school. It was quite the workout. I started out in the back of the truck again today with Greg and Thomas but after about 30 minutes I went back inside the car because there was too much polvo (dust).Once we reached the “end of the road” we got out and started walking. It was so beautiful and there was lots of coffee being grown all around us. It was not too far of a walk but it was at quite an incline so we were definitely sweating by the time we reached the school. Unfortunately Thomas has a bad ankle and after starting the walk his walking stick gave way and needless to say he could go no further. So our guide (who by the way reminds me of a Honduran version of Kai :]) and Millie took Tom back so we were left with zero translators. But we carried on and the kids were so good at this school, they all stayed in their seats and were all very polite. When we passed out their toothbrushes and toothpaste I had to explain to them how to brush their teeth. I was pretty nervous but I got through it. I kept asking the kids if they understood and they said they did and their teacher was agreeing with me so I think I got the point across! And afterwards everyone told me that I did a really good job and that I sounded like a real teacher! Hahaha I think they were just trying to make me feel good but it worked!! I get discouraged pretty easily when I cannot understand everything that people say around here so little encouragements along the way always help. On the way back there was another truck on the road that got stuck in some water so we (well the men) helped push the car over to the side of the road and then we gave the guy a ride into town. It was quite the drive but always so beautiful and there is so much to see. I feel like I can never take enough in!
Later that day we went to Copan to get some pizza for dinner. Millie’s sister (Elvira) came with us and it was a lot of fun. Elvira does not speak any English so Brewer (the man who lived in Panama for 23 yrs), Millie, Elvira and I all sat at one end of the table and they told me that I could only speak in Spanish if I wanted to eat. Elvira kept telling me that it is good she does not speak any English so that I can learn Spanish. Hahaha it was frustrating at times when I just wanted to say something in English but it was good for me. After dinner I just followed Elvira and of course they run into their family and friends everywhere so we talked to a few people in the street before heading back to the house. Millie finally had to say okay Elvira vamanos! Haha
Once we got back home I watched tela novelas (soap operas) with Fanny and Melissa. They are so cute and so funny but they are younger, Fanny is 12 and Melissa is 14, and they talk so fast!!! Plus their voices are high pitched so I always have to tell them to repeat things and slow down! Elvira had also put a small thing of tres leche cake in the frig for me so Fanny and I split it. It was sooooo good!! They spoil me here! After the girls all went to bed I stayed up for a little longer on the computer emailing Matt when the power turned off. The computer is in the kitchen and it was around 10pm so it was really dark. I had no idea what to do because I could not see a thing! I kept trying to open my eyes because it felt like they were closed!! I finally felt my way back to my room and luckily I have a little light in my room that uses batteries so I could turn that on once I felt around and found it. Hahaha I almost started calling out for someone to come help me but then I figured they would probably not be able to anyways!! Haha well I guess I am back in my room now so everything worked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment